At least one manufacturer (Tripp-Lite / Isobar) advertises that if your
equipment is damaged from a power surge when powered thru their device
they will repair or replace it for free.   I use their surge suppressors
for my computers, and have never had a problem, although they tend to
make a horrible "bang!" on those occasions when they are killing a surge.

Also, I wrote up a small item for the Glowbugs list that concerns using
Amperite thermal delay relays to automatically cut off power for 30
seconds or so when one of those one-second outages happens.   Here is
the gist of that post.  You should be able to gleam sufficient
information from the text to see what is happening, and how you could
use the idea to your advantage.  The original post was concerned about
how to get around contact bounce with thermal delay relays, which open
and close relatively slowly.  A suitable delay relay is an Amperite
115NO30 (115 volt heater, normally open contacts, 30 second delay) which
I believe is available from eBay or various surplus dealers, typical
price: less than $20.00.   The usual disclaimers apply.

_________________________

The solution to the "contact chatter" issue is to use the thermal relay
to activate a conventional relay that has the same coil voltage as the
thermal relay heater.  Use a set of contacts on the conventional relay,
in parallel with the thermal relay's NO contacts to latch the
conventional relay closed.

This has several advantages.  If wired correctly, this allows the
thermal relay to be "de-powered" almost immediately after closure, thus
effectively preventing heater burnout from prolonged activation, and the
delay relay is aways ready for another cycle, instead of having to wait
for it to cool down.   The same SPDT contact set that uses its
normally-open side to  "latch" the conventional relay can, from the
normally-closed side,  control heater power for the thermal relay.

If you use a DPDT conventional relay, then the set of contacts not used
for latching and controlling the thermal relay heater can be used to
switch the actual power load, avoiding the problem of burning the
contacts of the expensive (and increasingly rare) thermal relay.

The latching relay will drop out instantly on power off, so the cycle
always starts fresh on each power on, no matter how long (or how short)
the "off" period has been.   I use this basic circuit in most of my
power control systems, including multiple-outlet AC boxes, typically
with a 30-second or so delay.   In the event of a momentary power
outage, the latching relay drops out at once and makes sure that
sensitive items (hard disks, high-voltage power supplies, etc.) have
completely spun-down or discharged before being re-energized.  Has saved
me any number of problems,  and with a little more thought, allows
remote control of power to whatever item(s) are being activated.
_________

- Jim, KL7CC