As part of a detailed series of transmitter performance measurements
(still underway), I measured my K3's current requirements at various
supply voltages and output powers for all bands.

At 100 watts commanded power, tune mode, and with 13.8 V nominal applied
(13.797 measured), I measured the following current requirements:

Frequency (KHZ)         Current (A)
1850    17.919
3900    17.116
5330.5  17.094
7250    16.796
10120   18.544
14175   18.587
18120   15.232
21250   16.966
24950   15.53
28350   14.308

The power supply used for these tests is an Hewlett Packard digitally
controlled model 6652A with remote voltage sensing--the sensing leads
are connected to the Anderson connector where it enters my K3. Hence the
wiring drop (but not the connector drop) is compensated for. I measured
the standard Elecraft 5 ft cable as having around 40 milliohms loop
resistance, if I remember correctly, which amounts to 0.72 V drop at
18A. My notes are in the basement and I'm writing this from a couple of
floors above, so I could be mis-remembering the number slightly.

The figures are shown in three decimal places, as that's how the HP
6652A reports. The instrument's stated accuracy is +/- 0.15% + 26 mA.

In addition to the band-to-band changes, reflecting different
efficiency, my data shows that the current requirement is more or less
independent of supply voltage, with only a small change in current noted
for a particular power output as  the supply voltage changes between
11.2V to 15.0V. I assume this is because the majority of the supply
current goes to the HPA stage and the final transistors have more or
less constant base drive so the finals operate in constant current mode
with respect to the DC supply voltage. This has some interesting
ramifications for efficiency and heat dissipation versus supply voltage
when one is operating CW, more about which when I complete my
measurements and finish writing up the analysis.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com