Folks,

I fail to see the advantage of constructing an end fed dipole with coax
for half of the antenna - it requires a choke that has a parallel
resonant frequency equal to the operating frequency, and the overall
length is a half wavelength.

I believe it is much easier to construct a half wave radiating section
and make up a parallel resonant circuit using discrete components - wind
a wire around some kind of form (PVC, 35mm film container, etc) and tune
it to resonance with a capacitor.  The transition to 50 ohm coax can be
either a link or a tap on the coil.  YMMV.

My preference for portable operation is a balanced dipole fed with 300
ohm ladder line.  The radiator length is not critical - I use 44 feet
(22 feet per side) for 40 thru 10m and carry clip-on extensions 22 feet
long if I need to cover 80 meters.  The feedline attached to the antenna
is 25 feet long and I carry an additional 25 foot length of 300 ohm line
if the 25 foot length is not sufficient to reach from the antenna to the
transmitter.  It can be strung as an inverted VEE when there is only one
support (I use a 32 ft telescoping pole), or it can be a vertical -
string it up alongside the fiberglass pole, or if two supports are
available, it can be deployed as a horizontal dipole, or use it as a
sloper - just get the wire in the air as high as possible using whatever
works best.  A switchable 1:1/4:1 balun at the transmitter end of the
feedline completes the antenna - use whichever setting provides the best
match to the auto-tuner, it will vary depending on the deployment method.

There is no "magic" in antennas, the laws of physics cannot be defeated
no matter what the antenna manufacturer's advertising hype may say.  If
you can mount the antenna in the clear and can feed power to it, it will
radiate, and it need not be expensive - add up the cost of 44 feet of
wire and 50 feet of 300 ohm feedline and compare the result to the price
of a constructed (or kit) antenna.

73,
Don W3FPR