I think a dipole fed with balanced line is the best choice as a primary
antenna, it works well on multiple bands with a good balanced tuner. Or even
a dipole fed with coax, but then you are limited to a single band (unless
you parallel multiple dipoles with a single feedline which works very well).
My primary antenna is an 80 meter dipole fed with ladder line. But at the
same time I have enough land to put up another antenna, but I would like to
locate it at some distance from my primary antenna. For this reason an end
fed half wave dipole as being described does seem to be interesting. It
would be a single band resonant antenna that could conveniently located a
fair distance from the shack.

Anything can be made to radiate, many things are more efficient than others.
I guess it all depends on what one has to work with. While some antennas may
be considered to be optimal, getting up what ever one can and making
contacts with it can be a lot of fun too.

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN