Mike and All,

I'm not all that surprised that W5OV was able to get a match using his K3,
although I'm not sure exactly how severe the mismatch is.  It has to be
pretty far off though.

Using my K3, with its built-in ATU, I am able to get a 1:1 match on 80
meters using my R8 vertical, which isn't supposed to go lower than 40
meters.  I can also get a match that is better than 2:1 on 160.  Obviously
though, the efficiency of this antenna on those bands is pretty lousy.  I
really don't operate on 160, except I did work VP6DX on both SSB and CW with
this arrangement.  Their beverages did all the work though I'm sure.

Nevertheless, the K3's ATU is very good!  I haven't tried the same test with
my K2 and it's built-in ATU, but that tuner is very good also.  I just don't
know if it's quite as good as the K3's.

The ATU in my Orion II will also match the R8 on 80 meters, but just about
every other rig I own, or have owned, with a built in ATU, would not come
close to doing this.  I have a Kenwood TS-480 and a Yaesu FT-1000 Mark V,
neither of which could do that.  The Mark V won't even allow me to cover all
of 40 meters, but the K3 does it with ease.

Having said all of this, I'd be very cautious about big excursions with the
K3 or K2 built-in ATU's.  I'd sure turn the power down a lot before even
trying.  Clearly though, not all built-in ATU's are equal!

Dave W7AQK