A few years ago, I was really on the 5/8 vertical bandwagon.  I thought it was
the cat's meow.  The problem was that real world A/B testing did NOT show it to
be any better than a 1/4 wave vert.

I had a 5/8 wave vert for 15 meters.  Ground mounted over 16 radials.  An ATU
at the base took care of the small impedance mismatch and RG-213 carried the
signal to the rig.  Hot stuff - or so I thought.

I also had a 1/4 wave ground plane (4 radials) on the roof of my single story
house.  It was fed with RG-58.  I spent a lot of time with an A/B switch
listening to both antennas.  You'd think the 5/8 with it's mondo low-angle
radiation pattern would walk all over the 1/4 wave but it DID NOT.  DX signals
as the band was just opening or closing were sometimes stronger on the 5/8,
other times on the 1/4.  There was no clear winner.

It was years before I found the answer.

Apparently, that wonderful low angle radiation that we want out of the 5/8 wave
antenna depends HEAVILY on the ground conductivity many, many wavelengths away
from the antenna.  Far out of the reach of any ground radial system, poor soil
conductivity is sucking the low angle radiation down to near zero.  Sure, over
salt water it is fabulous, but for the vast majority, it just doesn't pan out
that way.

So, for "normal" soil, it seems the best height is something less than 1/2 wave.

I run a 33' vertical with a Hustler 80M resonator on top.  It resonates on 80
and 40 and does pretty well on those two bands.  It also delivers the goods on
30 meters due to the remote tuner.  On 20 meters and higher it isn't really all
that impressive.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -