Jon K Hellan wrote:

> Julian, G4ILO wrote:
>
>> It remains true, in my opinion, that it is taking longer and costing more
>> for us in Europe to order things from you. The shipping and tax
>> collection
>> costs are especially steep for smaller items. It may not be your fault,
>> but
>> it is nevertheless a discouragement to further purchases.
>
> The change from USPS to UPS was bad. UPS is twice as expensive as USPS
> used to be. And less convenient. At
> least in my country, UPS is oriented towards business customers, and
> sorting out a way to deliver to private
> individuals is a hassle. The mail really works here. I understand the
> reason for the change had something to
> do with  insurance. Have you checked if it is possible to arrange a third
> party insurance solution?

The K3 came by UPS. It was expensive, but then the K3 was expensive and the
charges were not out of proportion. It was delivered in a van that had UPS
on the side. There were no problems at all, though we are at home all the
time so there is not an issue with receiving deliveries on a weekday.

No, the problems - at least here in the UK - are due to the use of USPS
which apparently uses Parcel Force here for delivery. A lot of people here
refer to them as "Parcel Farce" and with good reason. I have had several
parcels sent by them go missing even though apparently signed for. So you
can perhaps understand my overreaction when being given (incorrectly) to
believe last night that Elecraft had completely messed up the shipping
address.

When I order stuff from eBay sellers in Hong Kong it arrives in less than
two weeks, shipping costs are lower, and they are delivered here my Royal
Mail (the regular Post Office.) If Elecraft used a service that resulted in
Royal Mail delivery here I wouldn't be concerned even about a missing street
address because they would work it out themselves from the name and zip
code.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm