As usual it seems the thread has mutated into different conceptions of what
is going on.   Ballistic tuning is when the knob is turned faster the
freq moves
faster,
I had a FT-847 and the tuning on it was "jog shuttle" an extra ring
around the
tuning knob that would move freq very fast depending on how far the ring
was moved.  Was a bear to get used to.   The ballistic is much
different, there
is no learning curve and works well,  you dont even know its there
unless you
spin the dial fast.
It would be like a no hands rate button.   I for one vote for it.
Merv KH7C