Howard,

You are correct, with nothing connected to  the K3 EXT ALC connection,
there should be no power reduction for the K3.  Yes, you should contact
k3supp...@elecraft.com to see if it can be tracked down and corrected.

I am sorry that we initially misinterpreted your email to the reflector.

73,
Don W3FPR