> I had two old 4 1/2" speakers I picked up at a yard sale ...

Many of us have decent hi-fi speakers sitting there on the desk already - in
my case a lovely set of Bose PC speakers, a fantastic present from my YL.
PC speakers (other than Bose anyway!) are cheap.  They are amplified, have a
wide frequency range and none of the booming or rattling resonances which my
homebrew speakers always seemed to have.

The Bose speakers have two sets of stereo inputs so I can run both the PC
and the rig into them at the same time, controlling the levels independently
on the PC and K3.   It shouldn't be too hard to provide 2 inputs on others
if you're willing to open the box and experiment.  Alternatively, I guess
you can run the rig's line level output into the PC sound card input, and
configure the card to play it through the PC speakers, using the cound
card's input level control to set the rig level and output volume control
for both PC sounds and RX audio.

You *may* need to use ferrites or decouplers to keep RF out of them but I've
never had a problem with any of mine.  Avoid any with nasty cheap
switch-mode PSUs like the plague though!  Most seem to run fine on 13.8V byt
YMMV.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB