Don:
Thanks for the advice.  I will definitely try those things, especially for my
attic system.  Just a few moments ago, I got rid of my coax feedline altogether
and plugged my antenna wire (long wire to the backyard) directly into the K1,
via a paperclip.  Wow, that made a big difference - got down to about 1.5:1 on
both 80m and 40m.
By the way, I have read things about using a _counterpoise_.  Is this a sort of
substitute for a ground connection?  I am interested, because we are going to
do some camping over the next couple of weeks and I am taking the K1 along for
(hopefully) some outdoor "work".