Hi Ed:

I don't have a K1, but I agree with everything Don said.

Your situation sounds a bit strange though, because I know a number of
people who have K1's who typically have not problem loading all sorts of odd
"end fed" wires.

You are right to get rid of the coax in almost any situation like that. Coax
has huge losses at high SWRs. The ATU only ensures a match between the
antenna where it connects to the rig and the finals in your K1. It does
*nothing* to reduce the SWR on the feed line between the rig and antenna.

A counterpoise is used to produce a low impedance at the rig. It's usually
1/4 wavelength long. A 1/4 wave long conductor with the far end insulated
will show a low impedance at rig end. It can replace an extensive RF
grounding system, although a simple one-wire counterpoise is seldom as
effective. However, it's world's better than no counterpoise or ground at
all. Having a counterpoise or RF ground does two things: 1) It keeps
troublesome RF voltages off of the case of your K1, the key, etc. 2) It
greatly increases the efficiency of the radiator (antenna) when the antenna
is an odd multiple of 1/4 wave long or less than 1/4 wave long.

You'll want two counterpoise wires for your setup: one 66 feet long (1/4
wavelength on 80) and one 33 feet long (1/4 wave on 40). You can connect
both in parallel to the case or ground lug on your K1 and leave them
attached at all times. They won't interfere with each other. Indeed, you can
run the two wires alongside each other but separate them the last several
feet and be sure the ends are insulated from each other and from other
objects.

Ron AC7AC