Ron:
Thanks for the information about the counterpoise and feedline.  Would using
300 ohm twinlead work better than coax for a kooky attic dipole I constructed?
With RG-6 coax and no ground, it seems to work fairly well on 40 meters.
I have a couple of other antenna questions:
Grounding:  I am currently using the third prong of my electrical socket for
that.  It is connected to the house plumbing in the basement.  Is this
acceptable?  Should I use this for dipoles and loops, as well as long wires?
Reception:  I have made a couple of contacts in VA and IN with folks who give
me an RST of 599.  In both cases, their signal was fair  - around 478 at best,
but drifting.  I was wondering why there is such a difference. Isn't
propagation usually a two-way street?
Thanks.
73,