Be sure you are not listening to free bander buckshot.  I hear a lot of
freebanding which seems to come from Mexico or Central America.  Sometimes it
is noise, sometimes carriers and sometimes voice.  The voice is in Spanish
usually and the carriers come and go like several stations using AM.  It
doesn't coincide with tuning or go away when you monitor a frequency, but you
will of course hear more it it when you are tuning.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ