Duane,

Have run into the same thing as others have mentioned. Should you need to
replace the two diodes in question, you may want to consider mounting them
on the opposite side of the board. I found they were easier to replace,
should you have to do it again.

The best thing to eliminate this problem is to disconnect the antenna when
the radio is not in use. Some go as far as disconnecting any power or
computer lines as well.

A good antenna switch, like the Alpha Deltas or separate surge suppressors
with other antenna switches will help. The same devices could be used on
both antenna positions on the KAT100 too.

Too, any power sources (power supply, logging computer connected to the
mains) should also have surge suppression to help protect "back door" hits.
I'm partial to Tripp-Lite products.

Hope you've found the problem and have it fixed.

Cheers,
Julius

dw-4 wrote:

> Hi all,
> I left the K2 antenna plugged in today and went to work.
> We did get a fast moving torrential downpour with some lightning
> activity in the area where I work which is about 20 miles north of the
> shack.
> So I'm not sure if there was any lightning in the area of the shack.
>
> Anyway, I used the K2 last night and then shut it down.
> Turned it on when I got home from work and it receives with no problem
> but shows Hi Cur now in TUNE mode, on all bands.
> Its been raining all day long, and I have a doublet with 450 ladder and
> a SGC external antenna tuner mounted on a tree.
> I will check the tuner box as soon as I can but so far the K2 is a no go
> on xmit.
> Also, the supply voltage really starts to sag when I set the power pot
> up above 6 watts on tune.
> I have the KPA100 on board.
> I wish now I had a 100watt dummy load.
> The power supply is a brand new 7AMP switcher so I'm not suspecting it
> as the first thing on the list.
>
> Has anyone seen the K2 act like this before?
>
> Thanks
> Duane
> --
>  bw...@fastmail.net