On Jul 1, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:

> Yes some years ago, after a falling pine brought down the antenna in
> use
> while the K2/100 was transmitting (CW).  Diodes D12 and D14 in the
> KPA100's
> T-R switch both failed into a shorted condition, and one of the
> diodes in
> the K2's T-R switch failed as well. I was very lucky that the KPA100's
> transistors did not blow. My K2/100 now shares a protective shutdown
> system.

A couple of years ago, when trying to use the K2 as a receiver with a
homebrew transmitter for Straight Key Night, I accidentally
transmitted about 12 or so watts directly into the front end of the
K2/100 for over 30 seconds. The K2/100 isn't apparently any worse for
wear.

So, it would take a considerable discharge to cause a problem of this
type.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901