Dave,

I think what's turning many folks away is the combined complexity of cables,
temperamental drivers, high-end sound cards, and the need for a reasonably
competent PC (owing to PowerSDR software).  That's a shame because much of
these problems are easy to overcome with the SDR-IQ unit.  Only two cables
are used for connectivity and it's self-powered through the USB cable.  Much
of the needed DSP processing power is assigned to the SDR-IQ rather than the
need to depend on PowerSDR or one of its variants that places a high CPU
demand on the PC when using a high-end sound card.

With the SDR-IQ, I've found my PC's CPU demand is minimal -- to the point
where I use it with an inexpensive Samsung netbook PC for point & click
tuning through SpectraVue software.  The K3, netbook, SDR-IQ and two
cables -- and you're done.   If the SDR-IQ is set up as only a panadpter
without the need for its internal demods, CPU demand is reduced further.

I'm sure Elecraft will make their panadapter as powerful as possible for the
price -- but it's pretty tough to beat the utility-to-price ratio of a $300
netbook + $495 SDR-IQ unit -- and use it for much more than just a
panadpter.  If the small netbook monitor is not of sufficient size, just
plug-in a flatscreen LCD monitor of your choice.   For me, I get a powerful
combination at home with large monitor and between the tiny SDR-IQ and
netbook, I can quickly take it portable with the K3 in a small Pelican case.

Paul, W9AC