Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread.
I am quite happy that this kluge works as well as it does so never one to
leave well enough alone I went back to the plumbing shop and got them to
create 2 cooper pipe sections using the eq of 2in diameter tubing, each 12ft
in length. Through the language barrier we agreed that they would use their
tubing bender to bend each section into a 1/2 circle and swage one end so
the two seconds could be overlapped inserting one into the other for several
inches. They said I could pick them up tomorrow. I also got 2 90 degree
elbows to form the ends of a new set of piston caps. The sections are just
small enough to drag up the stairs to my living room and assemble once
inside my apartment. The new loop will have that one joint in the main loop
that has to be soldered with a torch. When assembled the 2 in diameter
tubing will form a loop that is 8 feet tall giving a few feet clearance in
the living room if mounted vertically. The resistive losses should be pretty
low for this new loop that should cover down to 80m but be optimum for 40m.
I'll try to find another Jennings Vac cap when I go back to California Aug
30. But if not the piston caps work fine.
Years ago I built a loop that worked well in a large Jennings cap, the most
difficult part was the gear reduction mechanics.
I read the German language papers concerning magnet loops written in the 40s
when they were developed for submarine use so the whole concept of magnetic
antenna had intrigued me for years.

Figuring out the tuning range is pretty simple using my Motorola service
monitor tracking generator and spectrum analyzer.
I'll report back when I get it assembled tomorrow night.
Stan