Good question, Gary. Back in 2000 when my K2's encoder froze up I thought
"Uh, oh! This is going to be a big issue!" but apparently very few K2 owners
had any trouble at all. I was one of the few to report the issue. This
report by Sam is the first comment I can recall seeing in years. I'm sure
that's why it's never become an action item for Elecraft.

I have the stock felt washers in my K3 and have had no problems so far.
Since I help with the documentation, I try to keep my K3 absolutely
"Elecraft stock" so I'm experiencing exactly what everyone else with an "out
of the box" K3 experiences. I have not doctored the K3's felt washers in any
way.

In off-line correspondence with Sam, I pointed out that that I did not "cut"
the threads I found stuck in the bearing,  but reasoned that if they were
pulled in by turning the knob, they would come out the same way. I gripped
the end of each thread with tweezers and turned the knob while pulling
gently. Each one slowly came out when I turned the shaft in the proper
direction. It was a bit tedious, but I ended up with a free-wheeling encoder
again.

I'd recommend the same if anyone has the same problem.

If your encoder is jammed and you can't get the threads out, drop a line to
k3supp...@elecraft.com. After all, you have a world-class year-long
warranty!

Ron AC7AC