K3 is wonderfully flexible and though mine is only a few weeks old I see
it's getting more flexible. BUT. I'd rather not see a scenario where a
PF gets dedicated, leaving me without any way to access variables I want
to be able to change "in real time".

In fact I would be real pleased to have more PF buttons. Obviously you
can't add buttons to the panel. Conceptual idea: an accessory of
tethered knob and programmable button array. OK, OK, not high tech, or
"now" enough? Make it Bluetooth instead of tethered, with a microphone
jack, headphone jack, little built-in hi-fi speaker, operating from a
single AAA NiCad that you replace once a year like a smoke alarm. Oh,
and a couple of belt loops.

Bill