VFO/memory operation is done pretty well on the Kenwood TS480 and TS570,
I don't know why if Elecraft can crib their serial comms protocol they
can't also use their memory arrangement too... For those who haven't
used one of these Kenwood radios, there is a V/M (VFO/memory) button...
When in memory mode when you rotate the multi-knob the radio behaves as
if it was crystal controlled and allows you to listen to each stored
memory in turn without any messing around and no need to store a "*" in
the memory name or press a further button to listen to the memory
content. There is also a "quick memory in" button that stores to 5
memories which also can be accessed by rotating the multi-knob. On a K3
the RIT knob may serve as a multi-knob.

I guess that without a new front panel we will still have a poor user
interface as regards VFO and memory control.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80