On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 02:58:56 -0700 (PDT), Julian, G4ILO wrote:

>The other issue is the way the memories work, which I believe that anyone
>using the K3 for FM - as I expect more people will want to do when XV144's
>get out in the field - will consider to be not good enough. The "channel
>hopping" memories were a lame step in the right direction but their major
>flaw is that they only load the receive frequency into the VFO. This is fine
>for scanning, but if you have a mixture of simplex and repeater channels in
>memories with different access tones you can't just press PTT and reply to
>the signal you heard while scanning because the repeater shift and access
>tone associated with the memory you're listening to have not been loaded, so
>you may well be transmitting on the wrong frequency and/or with the wrong
>access tone.

Silly me. When I ordered my K3, I thought I was purchasing a radio optimized
for HF, not VHF FM. Talk about square peg in round hole! I own several radios
designed for VHF FM. I don't need another one.

As to ergonomics. I was chatting with K3NA last spring while he visited
California to attend the Visalia DX Convention, and at one point the
conversation turned to the K3 and its ergonomics. Eric led the VP6DX
DXpedition to which a half dozen or so early production K3s were loaned. It
was, at that time, a brand new product, so everyone was learning it for the
first time. He said that the user interface was so intuitive and user
friendly that with very little instruction, everyone was using it quite
effectively within the first 15 minutes. I had the same experience when my
first K3 arrived.

I do feel that the user interface needs some work with respect to the second
receiver and working split.

As to size and weight. One of the things I greatly appreciate about the K3 is
its small footprint on my operating desk. I'm sure that I would appreciate it
even more when sticking it in carryon luggage for a flight!

Someone I can only assume that the person who spoke of "absolute sideband
rejection" failed his courses in physics and electronic circuits 101. While
the IF filtering in the K3 is quite good, it cannot violate the laws of
physics.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC