> Seriously, in general amplifiers need about 50 watts input to
> get full legal output. That's about a 15dB max gain as set by
> the FCC rules if I remember correctly.

Most 3-500 based amplifiers with 2800 V (no load) on the plates
require 120 Watts or so for "legal limit" output.  That's about
11 dB gain.  Part 97.317(a)(2) limits the maximum gain to 15 dB
(approximately 50 W drive for 1500 W out).

The extra 10 to 20 watts of drive makes a difference for those
who have SB-220, TL-922, AL-82, AL-1300, AL-572, etc. amplifiers.
It can mean another 200+ W output.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

-Jack Brindle, W6FB