> Even with 3 x 3-500s in my LK550 and 2,900V no load, I only
> need about 25-40W input depending on band to reach our legal
> limit: 500W.  Which is plenty, way too much in fact for the
> digital modes.

In some jurisdictions the limit is lower (e.g., 400 - 500 W
input) than the US (1500 W PEP Output).  On the other hand,
in some jurisdictions it appears to be unlimited <G>.

> > Part 97.317(a)(2) limits the maximum gain to 15 dB
> > (approximately 50 W drive for 1500 W out).
>
> Not in NZ.  Is there really a max gain regulation in the US?
> How quaint!

Yes, that's part of the old rules designed to prevent the
misuse of amateur amplifiers on 27 MHz.

> ... The difference will be small in pure signal strength
> terms but sure the operator's confidence is improved.

True, the difference between 1300 and 1500 W is 0.8 dB.

However, there is one other issue with the 110 W limit.
Due to the "slope" in the internal wattmeter, it may not
be possible to achieve even a "full" 100 W output (much
less 110 W) on 6 and 10 meters if the K3 wattmeter is
calibrated on 20 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV