Don,

Ok I removed the KPA100 and connected directly to the K2, I also tested with
2 different jumpers, as well as useing the RF in and the AUX connection. All
give the same results:

KAT100's relays sound and the K2 shows 1.0-1 swr. Lights on the KAT100 do
not light up on tune or TX.
K2 reduced power on key up (at 10 watts setting and 5 watt setting).
Occasionally I get a High Current message. Current set at 3.50

I checked the RS232 for continuity and it is OK.

I started doing the test in the KAT100 Manual. When I set the antenna to 2
and turn off the K2 and then back on I noted the antenna back on ANT 1 I
also noticed when first powered up the lights on the KAT100 are bright but
then dim a bit.

Maybe this will point towards the problem?

I suspect I have a bad solder point somewhere in the KAT100.

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote:

> Damon,
>
> First, remove the KPA100 from the picture (remove it from the EC2
> enclosure) and connect the KAT100 directly to the base K2 and see if it
> works OK - if my suspicion is correct, it will.
>
> If the KAT100 checks out, then check 2 things - first diodes D16 and D17
> in the KPA100 and the short coax you are using between the KPA100 and
> the KAT100.
>
> Let me know what you find.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> W4HDM wrote:
>> My KAT100 was working fine then developed a problem recently.
>> For those wondering what happened to my for sale listing this is why I
>> removed it.
>>
>> At first the tune sequence would tune at times and other times it would
>> stay
>> at 9.9-1 and the lights would work most of the time. (Using a dummy load
>> as
>> well as an antenna)
>>
>> I checked the solder connections in the KAT100 and retouched a few. I
>> noticed no change in behavior. I put the radio away for a few days and
>> revisited the problem today ....
>>
>> Before doing anything I did a SWR Bridge alignment on the KPA100 just to
>> be
>> sure nothing had changed. I adjusted for 0 voltage using a DMM as
>> instructed
>> in the manual.
>>
>> Currently, the tune sequence gives a 1.0-1 reading on the K2 meter but
>> the
>> scale lights on the KAT100 do not light up while tuning or when keying.
>> The
>> antenna and power lights are working properly.
>>
>> When keying 100 watts into a dummy load the power is reduced by various
>> amounts depending on the band and the K2 shows HI Refl, the same symptoms
>> using an antenna.
>>
>> Using the menu for tuner readings, after hitting tune in the dummy load,
>> get:
>>
>> L00.4
>> C0.08
>> nET2
>> t 197
>> E243
>> Init
>> F1.05
>> L0-L8 get relay clicks as well as
>> C0-C8 and
>> N1-N2
>>
>> I am using the The KAT100/KPA100 in their own enclosure.
>>
>> Any help on where I should start from here to solve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damon
>>
>> (Don .. I sent you an email on this when the symptoms first started,
>> maybe
>> it was lost in SPAM)
>>

>> -----
>> W4HDM-DAMON-K2#473