Damon,

Thanks for removing the KPA100 from the picture, now we know the problem
is the KAT100 or the base K2.  To eliminate the base K2 from suspicion,
test it into a dummy load and see if the HiCUR messages are still present.

While looking for solder problems,  first check pin 1 of the KAT100
firmware socket.
What you are describing sounds a lot like a problem with the firmware chip.

73,
Don W3FPR

W4HDM wrote:
> Don,
>
> Ok I removed the KPA100 and connected directly to the K2, I also tested with
> 2 different jumpers, as well as useing the RF in and the AUX connection. All
> give the same results:
>
> KAT100's relays sound and the K2 shows 1.0-1 swr. Lights on the KAT100 do
> not light up on tune or TX.
> K2 reduced power on key up (at 10 watts setting and 5 watt setting).
> Occasionally I get a High Current message. Current set at 3.50
>
> I checked the RS232 for continuity and it is OK.
>
> I started doing the test in the KAT100 Manual. When I set the antenna to 2
> and turn off the K2 and then back on I noted the antenna back on ANT 1 I
> also noticed when first powered up the lights on the KAT100 are bright but
> then dim a bit.
>
> Maybe this will point towards the problem?
>
> I suspect I have a bad solder point somewhere in the KAT100.
>
> Don Wilhelm-4 wrote:
>
>> Damon,
>>
>> First, remove the KPA100 from the picture (remove it from the EC2
>> enclosure) and connect the KAT100 directly to the base K2 and see if it
>> works OK - if my suspicion is correct, it will.
>>
>> If the KAT100 checks out, then check 2 things - first diodes D16 and D17
>> in the KPA100 and the short coax you are using between the KPA100 and
>> the KAT100.
>>
>> Let me know what you find.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> W4HDM wrote:
>>
>>> My KAT100 was working fine then developed a problem recently.
>>> For those wondering what happened to my for sale listing this is why I
>>> removed it.
>>>
>>> At first the tune sequence would tune at times and other times it would
>>> stay
>>> at 9.9-1 and the lights would work most of the time. (Using a dummy load
>>> as
>>> well as an antenna)
>>>
>>> I checked the solder connections in the KAT100 and retouched a few. I
>>> noticed no change in behavior. I put the radio away for a few days and
>>> revisited the problem today ....
>>>
>>> Before doing anything I did a SWR Bridge alignment on the KPA100 just to
>>> be
>>> sure nothing had changed. I adjusted for 0 voltage using a DMM as
>>> instructed
>>> in the manual.
>>>
>>> Currently, the tune sequence gives a 1.0-1 reading on the K2 meter but
>>> the
>>> scale lights on the KAT100 do not light up while tuning or when keying.
>>> The
>>> antenna and power lights are working properly.
>>>
>>> When keying 100 watts into a dummy load the power is reduced by various
>>> amounts depending on the band and the K2 shows HI Refl, the same symptoms
>>> using an antenna.
>>>
>>> Using the menu for tuner readings, after hitting tune in the dummy load,
>>> get:
>>>
>>> L00.4
>>> C0.08
>>> nET2