Jim,

If it's an issue with the S-meter, it may well be corrected by the
corrected RF GAIN calibration procedure due out in the next beta
release. I can send it to you to try.

Generally if you connect an antenna to three radios and one of them
sounds louder, it means that radio has more gain and/or lower phase
noise. The K3 has excellent sensitivity and low noise, so this
wouldn't surprise me. It suggests you can run with preamp off most of
the time -- that's a good thing.

73,
Wayne
N6KR