I was offered a chair at the recent KL7RA M/M CQWW effort, so I drove
550 miles
as quickly as possible to get set up with my K3. The other four rigs
were all
IC-781's. I had opped locally with them during the last Solar Cycle.
Since then,
Rich relocated and built a new station on the Kenai Peninsula to the
south.
There's much better propagation from KL7 from that location, and his
scores will
improve.

We put my K3 on the 80M spot feeding an Alpha 87 into a 4-square
dipole array,
and ran it the full 48 hrs when propagation allowed without
malfunction. Most
of the ops (7) had no major problems interfacing with the rig. Some were
skeptical at first but learned the important controls, and a minority
just
passed it off as a one-owner radio not suitable for M/M Contesting
due to it's
initial complexity.

The NB, and occasionally the NR, were required on a westerly heading
due noise
re-radiation from the nearby 160M vertical. They both worked very
well. I
adjusted the AGC slope and threshold, and we all set the filter
offset and width
to our own needs to provide best audio. Both of my 2.7 and 2.1
filters were used
as required. We never used the second receiver with duplicate
filters. The
recently installed optional voice keyer worked perfectly, as did the
VOX,
providing the adjacent station noise was compensated for by setting
the VOX
floor in the CONFIG menu. The Manual was available for everyone to
refer to, as
was I.

The biggest complaints and temporary problems arose from the Tap vs.
Hold
functions (how much is each, etc.), and inadvertently touching the wrong
button(s). Nobody really got too lost, but there were some anxious
moments as
they figured out what had happened. Most were used to bigger simpler
radios, so
the somewhat cramped controls gave some the fits. I wished to try it
on the more
crowed bands and in the huge pileups (especially JA's on 15), but
that was not
to be.

What might be helpful for new ops would be a way to selectively
enable certain
functions, and lock/disable the unneeded. Also, an "OP preference"
control list
would be nice so one could quickly return to their favorite settings
after
following others in the chair.

Rumor has it (second hand) that some Contesters are now shying away
from the K3
due to it's complexity, but not necessarily it's performance. As a
relatively
experienced owner I had no problem running what I consider to be
excellent
radio. I've owned or operated most of the modern rigs sold in the
last 15 years,
and find the K3 (and my IC-765) to be the best of the group.

73, Gary NL7Y