> Rumor has it (second hand) that some Contesters are now
> shying away from the K3 due to it's complexity, but not
> necessarily it's performance. As a relatively experienced
> owner I had no problem running what I consider to be
> excellent radio. I've owned or operated most of the
> modern rigs sold in the  last 15 years, and find the K3
> (and my IC-765) to be the best of the group.
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

My K3 is about to make it's second trip down to the
PJ2T Contest Station, this time for the CQWW CW
contest. It's first test under "true fire" was for
CQWW 160 CW in January, where W8WTS and I finished as
the #3 Worldwide station. That's on 160 Meters from
12-degrees North of the Equator!

At PJ2T, we have four permanent stations and thirteen
transceivers either in use or as spares (seven FT-1000MP,
FT-2000, two IC-765, Omni-VI, TS-930, TS-940). Changing
direction at this point is a financial decision, as we
are not a  "deep pockets" operation.

I see the nature of the K3 as an advantage rather than
disadvantage, performance aside. If a radio needs repair
on the island, it must be carried back in someone's luggage,
repaired, and then returned to the island. When a piece
of equipment is returned to the island, there is the very
real possibility that the island's Customs folk might
charge 10% duty on it - this has happened multiple times
to us.

With a fleet of K3 radios, a stock of replacement boards
could be maintained and all the moving of radios eliminated.
Plus, if a radio *does* need returned to the USA, it weighs
much, much less and is considerably smaller than an
FT-1000MP!

Any radio seems complex until you become familiar with it.

73,  Jeff  K8ND