Hi Stewart,

The KAT3, like all wide-range ATUs, has significant stray reactance,
especially on the higher bands. When you tuned it into 50 ohms, you
created an L-network on each band that tunes out this reactance--at
that one impedance.

In your test, the KAT3 is between the K3's SWR bridge and the LP100,
so the two bridges are looking at different points in the network. So
changing the load Z to 25 ohms affects the two readings differently.

The disproportionate error on 20-15 m reflects the nature of the
KAT3's strays. On these bands, the stray-cancellation values that it
automatically finds results in an L-network. On still higher bands, it
may look more like a Pi network, which could explain why your SWR
error delta  is lower on 6 meters. On the lower bands, the strays are
less significant, so the readings match.

If you removed the KAT3, the readings would be in closer agreement.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

----