"...never a USB problem again!"

Actually, I don't think there are USB problems.  USB is a very good standard
that supports a large variety of devices and configurations.  The specification
allows for simple point-to-point interface as well as hub/hosting, device
sharing, and a number of other useful things.

However, there is a problem in how interfaces to a computer have evolved and
the problem seems to always be associated with dealing with old antiquated
technology while being faced with new standards and new capability.  For
example, when PCs were first introduced, the parallel port seemed to be the
ubiquitous interface medium.  If you have some custom device that needed to
talk to the computer, the parallel port was the way to go since it was
incredibly simple -- merely asserting voltages on different lines for the most
part.

Next, the serial port became popular because the UART technology started
becoming a commodity and available to a lot of different hardware vendors.

But, the parallel port held on long after the serial port showed superior (in
many ways) connectivity.  There was a time not long ago when there was a
parallel and serial port discussions not unlike this KUSB discussion.

In my opinion, since the serial port became so popular that it stayed around
much longer then it should have.  Computer vendors would have probably done
justice to this movement by removing support of the serial port much earlier
then now is happening.  I see it as a good thing that now a serial port is
often only offered as an option on some computers and not available at all on
others.

USB is good technology and it only needs a few little improvements in future
revisions to specifications.  And, if vendors always support backward
compatibility on USB then we are in fat-city.

OK, off my soap box.
phil, K7PEH