> USB is good technology and it only needs a few little
> improvements in future revisions to specifications.  And, if
> vendors always support backward compatibility on USB then we
> are in fat-city.

USB is another example of technology ignoring marginal applications.

1) There is, to my knowledge, no currently available USB chipset
   that supports standard data rates below 300 bps (thus no baudot).

2) USB chipsets and the USB bus itself operate at much higher clock
   and data rates than the UART/serial ports they replace with
   results in a much larger problem with radiated RFI.

3) Typical USB cables are much more "cheaply made" than a quality
   RS-232 cable and are more prone to failure.  The failure often
   appears as an open shield with greatly increased noise.

4) USB port "power management" is often unreliable, particularly
   if the USB device is used with a DLL driver instead of an
   "USB Converter" driver.  This results in the spontaneous,
   random "loss" of connectivity.

5) all devices connected to a single USB "root hub" operate in
   a polled, time shared basis.  The time slotting makes accurate
   real time events (e.g., bit flipped CW) even more difficult.

With its plug and play features, USB is very handy for consumer
toys and games but it is severely lacking in many other ways.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV