Interesting comments...

I have never had any problems with any USB device over the years.  I might add
that
I have only used two devices with my ham radio gear and they are both microHam
products which Joe knows all about.  Other USB devices I have used have always
been designed for the various computer devices or interfaces I have dealt with
so
maybe they do not count in this discussion.

But, I think the comment below, if I understand the point being made, is that a
problem with USB is in emulating a serial port on a computer or a serial device.

I agree with that, I think that the day that USB stops trying to emulate some
old
technology we would all be better off.  I am not against RS-232 or serial
interfaces
but I am ready to do something different.

I think that USB opens up a lot of new ways that rig control and interfacing
can be
implemented that might make software applications more powerful and easier to
implement.  For example, most, if not all of the rig interfaces are command
based
in that you send the device a command and sometimes this returns data and other
times it just returns an acknowledgment.

But, there are much nicer interfaces that can be implemented too.  For example,
the
memory mapped approach might have a lot of advantages.  This follows from the
way that computer devices would interface to the various bus structures by using
hardware mapped memory addresses.  That is, writing to a memory location and
by that setting a bit in some word was equivalent to sending a command to some
I/O device.  Or, reading a memory location was the same as reading a hardware
register physically part of some device control unit.

The LINUX operating system took the old Unix /dev/kmem type device access for
reading and writing memory and extended it to full process control using the
mapped proc memory space.

Rather then using USB to emulate a serial command infrastructure, what about
using
USB to interface to a memory based infrastructure.  Sure it would be more
sophisticated
on the ham radio rig side of things but it certainly can be done.

phil, K7PEH