Paul,

I do not believe Elecraft will discontinue the K2 nor its options for
some long time to come.  Yes, the K2 is over 10 years old, but still
going strong.  It is a 'mature' product, which means that there will not
likely be additional updates for it down the road.  You can feel safe
buying the basic K2 and adding options later.  These are not just my
thoughts, they have been confirmed by Wayne and Eric publicly on this
reflector.

A fully loaded K2 will give you most of the features that a basic K3
offers although the K3 offers some nice 'extras' too, so ...
If your final goal is a fully loaded K2 (with all options including the
KDSP2), then you will find the price is comparable with the K3 basic
cost, but if you must do it incrementally due to budget constraints,
then the K2 has a lower entry price.

The K2 is a great performing transceiver all by itself - and it is still
not very far down the list on the Sherwood listings.

I am assuming that you will enjoy building the K2 from its discrete
parts rather than plugging the boards together and assembling the
hardware pieces - the latter is the assembly process for the K3 kit.  If
the building process turns you off, then save up your ham budget dollars
and go for the basic K3.

73,
Don W3FPR