Paul...

I have owned a K2 for about three years now. It replaced an FT990. Is is
fully loaded [NB, SSB, DSP & AMP].

I'm not an expert on "state of the art," but do have some subjective
comments. It's a great little rig. I'm completely pleased with it. I
bought it specifically for its performance and the "build it yourself"
mojo. Even if I never used it, the fun of building it was super. I
tinker around with it constantly, which, aside from menu programing in
the K3, one can't really do with the K3 at the hardware level. It
clearly doesn't have lots of the bells and whistles of the K3, and if
such is important to you, or you have some specific need/interest, then
the K3 may be what you want. But, the raw receiver in the K2 is almost
as good as it gets; the general operation is certainly acceptable; and,
with add-ons it pretty much does whatever I ask it to do. I'd buy a K3
if money were no object, but for me the investment of another $2K plus
wouldn't result in a corresponding increment in performance. Hope you
find the right choice for you. Either way, Elecraft is the company of
choice, and in that respect you won't/can't go wrong with either rig.

Happy Holidays.

...robert

Paul Huff wrote:
> I think that I have finally saved up enough money to purchase my long-desired
> K2.  But there are two thoughts that cause me to hesitate:
>
> First, is the K2 "long in the tooth"?  Am I spending a significant amount of
> money on technology that is on it's way to being obsolete?
>
> Second,  I will only be able to purchase a basic K2 and plan on adding the
> extras to it over the next couple of years.  Will Elecraft still be offering
> those products for that length of time?
>
> I guess that I will ask that 2nd question directly to Elecraft, but any
> opinions
> on the first question would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance and 73,
> Paul - N8XMS

Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
rc...@verizon.net