Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>>>From 100 to 150, for 1.7 dB, when Bell Laboratories research (with
>> huge capital investment and telephone maintenance dollars on the line)
>> determined that 3 dB was the signal strength change discernment for
>> most people?
>>
>> It's amazing how these slim changes hold on with hams and spend their
>> money, when tons of research demonstrates the difference is not
>> perceived. We FEEL GOOD running 150 instead of 100, running 1500
>> instead of 1200.  Never hear it on the other end.
>
> We hear this over and over, but it is very misleading. It's true that if
> you have a good
> readable signal, a difference of a db or two is not noticeable. But when
> the signal is
> right at the noise level or QSBing in and out of it, even one db makes a
> difference. As
> N2WN said, it can be the difference between "?" and "N2?" -- or even
> between the guy CQing
> again and "?".

I agree with Vic.  You'll never notice the difference when a signal is -73
dBm or -72 dBm, ~55 dB above the noise floor, but at or below the noise
floor, you'll definitely notice it.  Case in point from the real world today
was JT1CO on 160 this morning.  There were many more folks listening than
actually hearing.  I bet many of those who could not hear would have given
anything for another dB or two of S/N (either from better receive antennas
or transmit power at the other end).

73,  Bill