Guy,

Two db does indeed make a difference no matter what you or the Bell Labs
results say, and that's why the search for an extra db or two continues
for anyone interesting in contesting or DXing in noisy conditions.

A couple of years ago I generated some audio files to demonstrate
exactly that.  I recorded some scratchy band noise from 80m and mixed it
with computer-generated CW of varying levels.  Down at the noise level,
even one db was perceptible and two db made a functional improvement.
In a CW contest or in a pileup that could make a significant difference,
although I'll admit that two db may not make enough difference for SSB
(I also never tried it).  I promised Pete I would clean up the audio
files and send them to him for inclusion in the Contest Wikipedia ...
I'm very delinquent on that but will try to do so within the next two or
three weeks.

Whether ANY increase in signal strength is worth the money required to
achieve it is purely a function of the station owner and his
objectives.  For some folks, spending an extra $1K to $6K to get 12 db
from an amplifier is not worth it.  Others have obviously spent ten
times that amount on towers and antennas to pick up just a few db.

73,
Dave   AB7E