At 03:55 PM 12/11/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>Is it really necessary to continue this thread?  My inbox is seeing entirely
>too much drivel like this thread and others on this reflector.
>
>Bob W6TR

Hi

I think this is one of the more interesting threads .... it is certainly on
a par with (with due respect) "K3 Diversity use with QRN" or "ethernet to
serial converter"  hi hi  Besides I delete 90% of the postings and keep
those of particular interest to me for future reference.... goes fast
hi.  I believe it goes to the heart of some basic Amateur Radio
philosophies ... the philosophies of power, competition, and
achievement.  Certainly not drivel.  Personally I am a rag chewer and radio
experimenter... I guess I don't have that competitive gene hi hi  I have an
academic interest in getting the most out of the least ... so I enjoy the
thread as far as technical suggestions on how to eek out additional power
... but no interest in breaking into the pileup .... that for me is an
academic interest ...(I usually don't operate on week-ends as there might
be a contest hi hi)  although I do receive satisfaction in completing a
weak signal contact.

I notice that the boots were for 160m .... and I think I know why.  Most
operators use some sort of vertical antenna which by definition will have a
high level of background noise.  the problem with weak signal operation on
160m is this background noise.  Even if the signal could be raised 3 db
over the noise .... you will have such a headache you won't last too long
hi hi.  The answer is to use a separate receive antenna ....not to raise
the received signal strength ... but to increase the ratio of signal to
noise.  Completing a QSO is a 2 way street.  I believe the radio should
have provision for a receive only antenna as well as noise reduction circuits.

I believe I have improved my 160m weak signal operations more through
improving my station receiving capabilities than increasing
power.  Certainly the efforts bring greater rewards.  Just as a sidelight
... I always enjoyed 160m from way back when I used to call in to an early
morning net ... shortly after milking time .... almost all the participants
were farmers.   Everyone operated AM back then hi hi ... and i used a
Heathkit DX-100 AM transmitter and a military BC348 ? receiver.  The
equipment has changed but the fun remains.

Jim, VE3CI