Dave and all,

Your observation is exactly the reason I use HI and LO CUT for SSB.
Typically one only needs to decrease HI CUT and the center frequency
takes care of itself.  When the HI CUT gets so low that intelligibility
is beginning to decay, a slight change upward in LO CUT can improve
things, but normally LO CUT is a "set and forget" control for SSB - mine
normally stays at 0.15, 0.20 or 0.25.
Try it and I would wager that most of you struggling with the WIDTH and
SHIFT for SSB will never go back.

73,
Don W3FPR