> Originally, IF shift was defined as moving one IF passband
> within another IF passband, making the resulting passband the
> intersection (not the union) of the two passbands.

Again, you are incorrect.  Drake implemented a shift control long
before any of the Japanese imports and its shift moved the entire
passband without changing the width.  Width was controlled
separately, in discrete steps.

Many of Yaesu's transceivers ... going back to the 1970's ...
also had independent shift and width controls.  Even today
the FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, Mark V, FT-2000, FT-9000, etc. have
width and shift controls that are independent and behave
exactly like the K3 in Width/shift mode.

It was only when Kenwood eliminated the third filter and
failed to link the mixers that shift/width became effectively
a high cut or low cut filter.

Like so many other features of the radio, what you prefer
depends on what you first used.  For me, the current Elecraft
design is the right way to do shift and width.  Even better,
I can select independent shift and width for CW and digital
operation or high/low cut for SSB operation at the press of
the encoder (or if I select 10 Hz steps for shift the behavior
can change automatically as I change between voice and CW/data
modes).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV