Al,

As has been pointed out - the K3 does it a bit differently because you
can control both the width and the shift.
For the K3, the width remains constant (whatever you set it at), and the
shift moves that entire passband higher or lower.
In the K3 it is no as you describe, but for transceivers with fixed
width filters (and Pre-DSP filters), the way you described it is how
they work

73,
Don W3FPR