From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Craig D. Smith
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:56 PM
To: 'lstavenhagen'; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] how much harder to build: K2 vs K1?

I think you will find some sound advice on this forum, LS.  You raise a good
question.

I think the key is that you have done no significant kit building to date.
There is nothing fundamentally more difficult about building a K2 vs. a K1.
Both involve soldering lots of discrete components onto a PCB and then
following the instructions for test and alignment using relatively simple
test equipment.  The K2 process takes longer and can be more time consuming,
depending upon what options you select.  Then again, even the K1 has what
seems to be a never-ending pile of capacitors to install.  I've successfully
done both kits and have been pleased with the results.

Given where you are at with kit building, I'm going to suggest a third
alternative.  Start out by building some of the small inexpensive test
equipment kits that Elecraft offers, such as the dummy load, the 3 band
signal generator, a balun, the step attenuator, etc.  All of these will be
helpful no matter which transceiver you ultimately decide to build.  More
importantly, they will get you comfortable with following the Elecraft
instructions, soldering components, and testing a final product.  After you
have two or three of these kits under our belt, then start thinking about a
transceiver.

Along with your soldering iron, I would recommend that you invest up-front
in an anti-static mat and accessories, good screwdrivers and pliers, and a
dependable DVM intended for solid state equipment.

Whatever direction you decide on, don't be shy about asking for advice here.

    73
                 ... Craig  AC0DS