I see you have decided on the K1, that is a good choice. The Elecraft kits
are a good choice as the manuals are so well written.

You say you have no experience of building a kit, so before you build it,
while awaiting delivery perhaps, I think you should practice on something
that does not really matter. Any simple Velemann kit or something from
Radioshack would be a good idea.  Learn how to make mistakes on that and
then learn how to fix them without damaging the PCB. Once you can make good
joints and solder and desolder parts, and can use the tools properly you
will be able to move on to the K1 with confidence.

Mike