I'm a return veteran contester with lots of wins using the old pencil log with
a dupe sheet.

I've tried various new programs attempting to gain a level of comfort so I
might consider a serious entry into some contesting again. You should
appreciate that I'd hate to feel the pain of getting part way into the contest
and be delayed or loose my logs due to a computer freeze, lock out or reboot.

For the past year I've been soliciting "contest guru" opinions and come away
with conclusions based on inputs of the long term contersters from my past more
active years. My conclusion has nothing to do with the suitability of the
wonderful K3 as a radio for CW or SSB contesting.

I'd use a basic mission critical PC with a 386/486 processor, DOS and CT to run
the logging process without connection to the Internet during the contest. CT
runs with the K3. The more recent contesting software might be ok but Windows
is buggy and may crash during the event.

Lets hope System 7 can be configured to offer mission critical reliability in
the new PC platforms.

Lastly, I find this to be mostly an off Elecraft topic.

Happy New Year

73,
John, W1QS
K3 s/n 2274, K2 s/n 4204

mission critical = power supply with extra wattage, two hard drives with less
than 10,000 hrs, shadow write utility and clean fan/filter