On Jan 6, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Gary Hinson wrote:

>> One
>> thing I would recommend is to run your log/db on a USB flash
>> based device, this way if your PC decides to  act up or even
>> worse the drive dies then your log will be safe.
>
> Errr, not if the flash drive dies, unless you meant to use the flash as a
> backup.  With no moving
> parts, flash drives are probably more reliable than conventional hard drives
> but they are not
> immortal and are only rated for so many read/write operations.  Also *all*
> your local drives of
> whatever type may go up in flames if the PC or shack catches fire, or someone
> may steal the lot ....
Hi Gary,

No actually I meant use the flash for the actual live log. Flash based drives
are far more reliable then traditional platters.
Flash has a life expectancy for ~10K read/writes far less then what would be
used in a 24hr contest :)
I have had many platter drives fail in my career and as of to date never had a
flash device fail (knocking on wood).

>> There are also a few other technologies other then the flash
>> drive approach, you can get a free 2GB account from
>> http://www.dropbox.com and point your log to your dropbox
>> folder and it will backup into the ether in real-time and you
>> can even have the same dropbox folder on a backup PC ready to
>> go.
>
> That's the better option - an offsite backup - if used as a backup, in other
> words again not the
> only copy.  The online file systems are fine if you have a sufficiently fast
> and reliable Internet
> connection, but again I would advise sending backups off-site and retaining
> one or more local copies
> of your log as well, just in case the organization running the offsite system
> has a technical fault,
> or deletes the files, or whatever (trust me: it happens).

I am also a huge believer in off-site backups as well, we are seeing newer
technologies like dropbox where it acts more like a local drive then a backup
device. I use that service to create corporate wide shared folders across large
geographical locations and its been very reliable.

> You can also take occasional offline log backups onto CD-ROM, or yet another
> flash drive, that you
> physically remove from the machine and place elsewhere in safe storage, far
> enough away from the
> shack not to be caught in the same fire/burglary/whatever.
>
> If that's all too much effort, at least consider uploading your log regularly
> to Logbook of the
> World.  LoTW is a 'last resort' backup since it only stores the minimal
> amount of info on each QSO,
> but at least it is possible to retrieve the basic QSO data if you have no
> other choice.  This has a
> useful side effect of increasing usage of LoTW!

I don't want to wander off topic here, but John was specific about contesting
scenarios and I think we have him covered :)

Also, does LOTW allow for "restoring" your log? I thought they once frowned
upon that at one time.

73

Lee
WW2DX