Brian Machesney wrote:

> I am using the KUSB with my K2 and N1MM Logger. I plugged the K2's serial
> cable into the end of the the KUSB adapter. I am running at 4800 bps, no
> parity, 8 data bits and no stop bits.

Interesting, Brian. I have always suspected that there is some other factor
besides the chipset that can make the difference between success and failure
with a USB adapter. Perhaps the chipset of the USB controller, or what other
devices are connected to and using the same USB hub as the serial adapter.

You would not think that anything so essentially simple as low speed (by
current standards) serial communications could cause so many headaches.
However last night I downloaded W6CQZ's new JT65-HF software and spent about
two hours trying to get it to key my K3 to transmit, before discovering it
would only work when connected to a real serial port. Not the virtual serial
port emulator and not LP-Bridge either. I know that isn't the same as a USB
adapter, except that is also a virtual serial port. It seems that anything
that is not a real serial port can throw a spanner in the works if Murphy
has a mind to.

Partly as a result of sluggishness running the JT65 software, I ordered
today a new PC for the shack. And since it doesn't come with an RS-232 port
I ordered at the same time a two-port PCI RS-232 card. It cost just over £20
and I will now be able control two separate radios without needing to resort
to any of these troublesome USB adapters. (I also made sure the PC I ordered
came with a Windows XP "downgrade". I *know* everything I want to use works
under XP, but I've seen plenty of reports of problems with Vista and 7. This
won't be an option for much longer - another reason for getting a new PC now
rather than later.)

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com