Bob,

I have been successful using that technique, but when there is any
difficulty with the solder re-attaching, I slide a THIN knife blade
under the first side when the solder melts.  The blade must be thin (and
must have a sharp edge) so the amount of lift is very small - a thick
blade could pull the pad that is still soldered to the board.

73,
Don W3FPR