We've got a tech who is amazing with a soldering iron.  He has two very
nice soldering irons on the bench next to him at all times.  All this
guy does is work magic with a soldering iron all day long...

His two irons are one with a bit of a cup in the end of the tip (for
holding solder) and the other is a smaller pencil type.  If he simply
wants to remove a small 2 in SMT component he just sets the largest tip
over the top of the part and then slides it off the pads.

The only time he uses both irons is if he needs to reuse that SMT
component.  If he's doing that he then just uses the two irons and
simply picks the component up with the irons (one in each hand) that way
the tweezers aren't needed...

Just a few other thoughts...

~BTH