Dick,

That is probably normal - you are hearing the internal receiver noise.
It should be at a fairly low level - you said it was, but I can't relate
to your perception of just how low or loud that may be.  If you are
using very sensitive headphones, it will be apparent at a lower setting
of the AF Gain than would be heard with less sensitive headphones.
All I can say for certain is that when I am working on a K2, I normally
plug my computer Line-in cable into the headphone jack (mainly so I can
see the trace on Spectrogram), and as a result I hear the K2 audio in
the computer speakers - I can usually hear the internal receiver white
noise 'hiss' with the AF Gain set somewhere near the 8 o'clock position
- but I can change that point easily by adjusting the gain control on th
epowered computer speakers.

You said you had AGC off - and yes AGC can influence how loud the
internal noise appears to be.

In the K2 (after SN 3000), there is an AGC Threshold pot on the Control
Board, and the most sensitive setting for that control is at the point
where activating the AGC does not *substantially* reduce that internal
receiver noise.  It will reduce the internal noise a bit, and that exact
threshold setting will vary from K2 to K2 - the initial 3.80 volt
setting is not a "one size fits all" setting - the manual alludes to the
fact that it could be refined by saying "but it can be adjusted later to
suite the operator."  The manual does not further explain how to
determine that setting.
Be AWARE - the AGC Threshold must be set before adjusting the S-meter,
and the S-meter must be calibrated after changing the Threshold.  A
Threshold setting below about 3.65 volts may not allow one to adjust the
S-meter properly.

73,
Don W3FPR