Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:40:12 -0800
From: ml-node+4566854-287279...@n2.nabble.com
To: ronce...@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Elecraft P3 panadapter at the Orlando Hamcation

I think the estimated $700 price is cheap.  I was thinking it would be
closer to $1000.  There is a similar product from Yaesu, the DMU-2000
with a list price of $1400 and it does not even include the monitor which
you must supply yourself.  I think the street price is possibly under $1000
though.

Now, we do not know how close or far apart the DMU-2000 is from the
P3 but it does set at least one price point.  Another price point is the
LP-PAN and sound-card plus computer configuration.  If you buy an
external USB sound card then you are starting to get closer to the ball
park area of the $700 (of course, depending on all kinds of factors that
are too variable to make any close comparison).  I bet though that many
hams would gladly pay several hundred dollars more for the P3 to avoid
the hassle of doing up their own solution using the LP-PAN approach.

About Microsoft selling Windows 7 at a profit for 50 cents!  Your joking
of course.  I have a number of good friends on the Microsoft Windows
7 product team (I live about 4 miles from the Microsoft campus) and
they would beg to differ with you.  They have, depending on how you
measure it which is not easy, a multi-billion dollar development effort
that they need to recapture by selling Windows 7.  Or, look at it another
way, their first several million copies of Windows 7 are still being sold
at a huge loss.   You can actually read their shareholders reports and
find out some of the cost for developing Windows 7.

As for me, I will buy the P3.  Cost? It is not so high that it would be
totally unreasonable I am betting.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Feb 13, 2010, at 8:23 AM, KM4VX wrote:

> What drives the price of a new product more than anything is marketing.
> Microsoft could sell Windows 7 at profit for 50 cents but charges $149.00.
> The P-3 price is being defined here on the reflector by those of us who are
> so enthusiastic about Elecraft; hams may be called "cheap" but have
> considerable discretionary spending available. The P-3 could sell for a few
> hundred dollars at profit, similar to other panadapters. Instead, we are
> talking about more than double that price. Companies recover their R&D
> investments over time, and the higher the selling price the shorter the R&D
> investment recovery period. How about a breather here? The $700 price being
> tossed around is a bit absurd in my view.  Yeah, many of us can and will pay
> it, but its okay to talk about 3-400 dollars and Elecraft would do just
> fine. Offer the company double their profitable selling price and they are
> delighted to take it. Why not? Mail a check now? If the price is determined
> by what we are willing to pay, consider paying less. It is okay to pay less
> guys.   73. Ron
> --
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Post: mailto:[hidden email]

View message @
http://n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-P3-panadapter-at-the-Orlando-Hamcation-tp4564111p4566854.html

To unsubscribe from Re: Elecraft P3 panadapter at the Orlando Hamcation, click
here.